Some Goa-related books which I picked up from the Golden Heart Emporium (near GPO, Margao) just last evening, for my collection:
- Konkani Folk Tales, Retold by Olivinho Gomes. NBT, 2007, reprint 2008. ISBN 978-81-237-5083-5. Great VFM (value for money) at Rs 75 only for a 232 page book. (Today, books in India, paperback ones, are roughly priced at one rupee a page.) Grab it if you can. Not easily available, perhaps because NBT commissions work out very low on their low-priced books!
- Landmarks of Goa’s Liberation. A Goan Observer Tribute. ISBN 978-81-89837-08-2. Rs 150 . Pp 82. 2010. Somehow I had not seen this book earlier, or did not know where to find it.
- World of Birds. By Anthony Carvalho. By Anthony Carvalho. 78pp. Rs 45. nd. Interesting listing of birds of Goa. Originally in Romi Konkani, translated. Probably have a copy of this book, but no problem in having an extra one, specially since it is a self-published book and these can soon turn hard to locate.
- Kaleidoscope of Women in Goa. Fatima da Silva Gracias. Pp 166. ISBN 81-7022-591-4. Rs 250. “This study provides a picture of the life styles of women both Christian and non-Christian in Goa (a tiny state in the west coast of India) during Portuguese rule.” This is for a member of the Goa Book Club who requested a copy!
- Francisco Luis Gomes. By Olivinho JF Gomes. Rs 90. ISBN 978-81-237-5801-5. Pp 260. Another interesting NBT book! Published posthumously after the untimely death of former acting Goa University vice chancellor and prolific writer Dr Olivinho Gomes. I have another reason for reading this book currently!
MEANWHILE, just to say that Goa,1556’s latest publication THE LAST PRABHU is now available at Broadway (Panjim), Varsha (Panjim), Golden Heart Emporium (Margao) and the Other India Bookstore (Mapusa). Also by mail-order via http://bit.ly/kxRUBC